As we go

Contact the poet: mwambani@hotmail.com


Friday 25 March 2011

People you meet in pubs - III

I didn’t know exactly what was wrong with him,
or right with him, more like. He was standing at the bar
as I entered, smiling openly at me as if we had known
each other for years and he held my elbow as I pretended

to understand what he was saying, and we bought each other
drinks and later I drove him home with the roof down 
which he loved as we sped through the warm summer night,
the air thick with a taste of damp meadows and insects.

You came with me next time, and he was there again
and I introduced you, and you made a fuss of him,
and later he took me aside in a low whisper
and said he fancied you, and I didn’t know what to do.



John H Davies
24th February 2011 


No comments:

Post a Comment