As we go

Contact the poet: mwambani@hotmail.com


Sunday 20 May 2018

Gratitude in a veil


I have an inkling
you know the gratitude,
that you are owed
and not always given.

I may not have the means
to express my debt.
For eons of etiquette
prevent the modern day

gushing of emotion
so awkward for you and I.
And yet, we learnt to embrace
our brave new world.

And while we agonize
over what to say
and not to say,
I say this:

There is not one soul
in my small microcosm of existence
as you;
no greater champion of support;

no finer guardian of friendship;
no shirker of the truth;
and no person who,
despite time’s distillation of

old conventions, would not
speak the unspeakable.
And so I do
now.


John H Davies
VIII May 2018

(For TF - Serengeti)

2 comments:

  1. This poem is about my wonderful son in law Terry Fade. Thank you for your expressiveness and for recognising a good man in this way. I have read many of your poems and they all come from the heart. You must continue. You have a great talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Tina - I'm very moved that you should comment - and of course that we can share in the knowing of this great man - I trust all is well with you and yours and I wish that perchance we might meet...

    ReplyDelete